Salkantay to Machu Picchu is an adventurous trek in Cusco that gives you the opportunity to see beautiful landscapes with a wide variety of flora and fauna. This trek is a great alternative to the Inca trail with fewer crowds, giving you the ideal kind of isolation to indulge in the scenic beauties.
This trek is an amazing combination of the culture of the Peruvian people and extraordinary natural beauty.
Starting from the Humantay Mountain, the trek ends at the main attraction of this trek- the historic snow-covered Machu Picchu. The hike route offers a diversity of attractions such as the crystalline blue water of the Humantay Lagoon, tropical forest gardens, organic coffee farms, famous Melochar Artaega’s farm, and many more.
Trek along the breathtaking Andes mountains and witness the rich geographical hike. Dip in the hot water springs at Cocalmayo and get pleased by the welcoming Peruvian people. The enticing views of the Machu Picchu and Huayna Pichu, at every turn, will leave you in a state of eternal bliss.
- Enjoy serene views of the crystalline blue water of the Humantay Lagoon
- View the mesmerizing sunrise over the glacial peaks from the Hobbit house
- Pass through warm and lush jungle surrounding with glacial views
- Witness different species of orchids, ferns, and begonia flowers
- Visit Organic coffee farms and tropical forest gardens of avocado, coffee, chilies, tomatoes, pineapples, etc.
- Indulge in enticing views of Machu Picchu and Huayna Pichu
- Visit the famous Intiwatana (sun dial), Hidroelectrica station, and MelocharArtaega’s farm
- Day 0.5: Transfer to Glass CabanasWe will pick all the guests from the Hotel at 3 PM and head to the private van, which will take you to the Glass Cabanas in Soraypampa. The drive is 3.5 Hours and you will witness the beautiful sunset and glacier peaks upon arrival. The Trek guide will allot rooms to all the members, followed by dinner and hot drinks.
- Day 1: Soraypampa Campsite to Humantay Lagoon to Salkantay Pass to Wayracpunko
Wake up early for breakfast, followed by a short introduction and briefing session by Alpaca staff. Start the 1.5 hours, steady uphill trek to Humantay Lagoon.
Trek back to the starting point and continue your hike to Soyroccocha. The trek to Soyroccoha will take 3 hours, crossing Salkantay Pampa and enjoy magnificent views of surrounding snow-covered peaks on the way. Enjoy lunch and continue trek to Salkantay pass.
A downhill trek of 3 hours will take you to the last campsite in Wayracmachay. Pitch a tent at the destination and enjoy dinner with hot drinks.
- Day 2: Wayracmachay to Chaullay to Ccollpapampa Loreta (Hobbit House)
Get up early in the morning and savor hot drinks and a nice breakfast. Pack the tents and begin the trek by 7 AM. Trek downhill for 4 hours to reach the lunch spot in Ccollapapampa. Witness glaciers, lush flora, and surrounding jungles on your way.
After lunch, continue trek to the next private campsite, La Loreta. This gradual downhill trek will take 4 hours, passing through enchanting waterfalls, rivers, and mesmerizing flora. Enjoy a hot shower, Jacuzzi, and the swimming pool at the campsite. Stroll in the ecological garden and witness coffee, avocado, chilies, and pineapple trees. Dine with the team, accompanied by a beautiful view of the Salkantay River.
- Day 3 : Loreta to La Playa Sahuayaku to Lucmabamba Coffee Farm to Llactapata (Camp at Machu Picchu)
Begin trek after a delicious breakfast and experience enticing views of the Machu Picchu. Explore tropical forests and visit the organic coffee farms. You will great a brief introduction about the coffee history of the region followed by a coffee-tasting.
Continue trek to Llactapata and follow a section of the Inca trail for 2.5 hours. Enjoy views of the amazing Santa Teresa valley on the way. At the Llactapata, you will witness the wonderful sights of Machu Picchu, the main archaeological site and the Huayna Picchu Mountain. Trek downhill for 15 minutes to reach the campsite area.
Spend the rest of the day at the campsite and enjoy lunch, hot drinks, relaxing views, followed by a delectable dinner meal.
- Day 4: Llactapata Lookout to Waterfall at Hidroelectrica to Mandor Hiram Biingham Farm to Aguas Calientes
Wake up early for breakfast and hot drinks. Begin the downhill trek for 2 hours until Hidroelectrica station. View the 300 meters high waterfall that generates electricity for the Cusco region. Continue the trek to the famous Intiwatana and view the sun dial rock.
Hike along the train tracks for 3 hours to reach Aguas Calientes, located at the foot of Machu Picchu Valley. Pass through the famous MelocharArtega’s farm on the way and witness exotic species of flora and fauna.
Enjoy lunch at AguasCailentes and visit the hot springs. Enjoy final dinner with the staff at the hotel.
- Day 5: Machu Picchu to Cusco
Enjoy early breakfast and board the first bus up to Machu Pichu (at 5:30 AM). The bus ride takes 30 minutes, and the tour guide will being the sight-seeing tour that would take another 2.5 hours. You may either extend your trip or visit the Huayna Picchu or travel back to Aguas Calientes to board your train to Ollantytambo. Our staff would pick receive you from the station and drive back to Cusco via a car.
- Trek briefing
- Transportation as per the itinerary
- Trekking equipment; tent, etc
- Three meals a day during trekking
- 2-star Hotel accommodation on twin sharing basis
- Tented accommodation during trekking
- Down jacket and Sleeping bags (on rent)
- Satellite phone
- Travel and rescue arrangement
- Transportation services including permits, government taxes etc.
- Porters (Up to 25 kgs per person)
- Professional High Altitude Trekking Guide with fluency in English
- First Aid kit
- Nepal immigration and Visa fees
- International Airfare
- Travel and Medical Insurance
- Optional trips and sight-seeing; Huayna Pichu
- Added expense that may arise due to unforeseen events like transportation delays, roadblocks, landslides, etc.
- Personal expenses
Good to Know
- The horses would be available only for the first day of the trek for half of the destination. For the rest of the trek, porters would be available for carrying the heavy luggage. Please note, each member is allowed to carry 25 kg of luggage maximum. In case the weight exceeds 25 kg, you will have to carry the extra baggage on your own.
- Sleeping bags, inflatable air mattress, and walking sticks are available on rent.