It is more of a necessity these days to have a window in our hectic schedule. The bills are due; pay getting delayed, medical issues etc. The window in our hassled life serves as a great escape. It helps in reconnecting with the ‘self’. For somebody like me, a great escape means either an adventurous trip or a place that connects me with nature. Getting the best of both worlds would get me head over heels. Now, this best of both worlds reminds me of the joyful days when I visited Nepal.
Nepal is a country located in the south of Asia. It has the sacred Himalayas as a part of their land. The country also has its foot in the Indo-Gangetic plain. Nepal is an amalgam of beauty, adventure, and spirituality. People these days from across the world are visiting Nepal to witness its beauty. Therefore, it is getting tougher to choose which places you should visit. But don’t worry I gotcha. Since I have been to Nepal frequently, I have shortlisted ten best places to visit in Nepal for you.
I have shortlisted these 10 best places to visit in Nepal in 4 categories. You can either go by the category or combine them up just like me for the accumulated experience.
The Spiritual touch:
My experience with Nepal’s spirituality underlines three temples:
- 1. Golden Temple (Hiranya Varna Mahavihar): This beauteous golden temple is an old Buddhist monastery. This place is best known for its Buddhist architecture. Its elephant structures and religious artworks are worth watching. I had to walk barefoot as shoes and leather is prohibited in the area. A interesting thing is this place is also famous for feeding rats.
- 2. Kali Mandir: I became suspicious when I came to know that this place is also called blood-soaked temple. It belongs to Goddess Kali (incarnation of Goddess Parvati). Even the earthquake of 2015 couldn’t damage this temple. Goddess Kali is often believed to have known for her blood lust. Therefore, pilgrims bring goat, duck, sheep, pig and sometimes buffalo to be slaughtered. This slaughtering is done as a gift for Goddess Kali
- 3. Pashupatinath: Being a believer of Lord Shiva I felt linked with this place instantly. Hindus believed that people who die here rebirth as humans regardless of their conduct on earth. Sitting next to river Baghmati that flows alongside made me feel as if I am blessed
Connect with nature: I have always loved nature. I can feel the strings attached to any place. In Nepal, I witnessed the beauty of Himalayas and therefore, shortlisted the followings:
- 4. Begnas Lake: This Lake is the second largest of the eight lakes in Pokhara. An interesting fact about this lake may surprise you. The fresh water of the lake changes colour as per the seasons. The lake is surrounded by green mountains which add on into the view and its fresh air. I enjoyed swimming in the lake. You may also try hands-on fishing, boating etc.
- 5. Nagarkot: When I caught my panorama view of Himalayas it was through Nagarkot. I was lucky to find the best accommodation as it offered the best view through my balcony. To enjoy the breath-taking views you must never miss sunrise over the Himalayas
- 6. Gupteshwor Mahadev Cave: Apart from being mysterious this place also has a sacred touch. A huge stalagmite is worshipped as Shiva Lingam. I had to carry lantern as the place was dark. The environment of the cave will detach you from the regular city life. I got time to self-analyze things on a personal level
It is easy for me to trek up to the moderate difficulty level. Hence, Nepal was the place where I could test myself. If you are looking for challenging treks too, then the following places will allure you.
- 7. Annapurna Base Camp Trek: To enjoy challenging trekking, this trek is a must. This entire trek is of duration of 12 days. I was introduced to native culture and beauty of ice-capped mountains. Its valleys and forests are the main highlights. Annapurna is the 10th highest mountain in the world. I was guided to take precautions and security measures and I would suggest the same for you
- 8. Dhampus Trek: I chose this trek because this is perfect for amateurs too. If you have just started with trekking; this trek is for you. Trust me you won’t be disheartened. This trek has amazing scenic grace. Moreover, it also gives comprehensive views of the Annapurna range
- Flora and fauna lovers: Nepal has such wide diversity in almost everything. This also includes the diversity in its wildlife and thick deciduous forests.
- 9. Annapurna Butterfly Museum: Since childhood, I used to run after butterflies hence, this butterfly museum. I got to see a wide variety of colourful butterflies. The museum’s specialty is its earthy aura. Therefore, the scene of butterflies flying is a delight
- 10. Forests of Tinjure, Milke, and Jaljale: The beauty of these places can’t be expressed in words. You must experience it just like me. The dense deciduous shrubs are spread over a large area. I couldn’t help but admire the beautiful colours of the blossoms. The feel will come the day you will visit this place
My 10 best places to visit in Nepal were truly my best. Don’t think anymore I am sure these places were enough to fill your heart. So, pack your bags and visit Nepal.