Stok Kangri Is a trekking expedition that takes place In Leh which is a Union Territory of India. The Stok Kangri peak can be seen from the city of Leh and is one of the most trek able peaks of the Himalayan mountain areas. The entire Leh and Ladakh area makes for an amazing region for trekking enthusiasts. The entire Himalayan mountain range is composed of different kinds of terrains that attract trekking enthusiast from all over the world and the Stok Kangri trek is yet another attraction. Once we have summated this trek, we will be able to get great views of the Zanskar Himalayan mountain range along with the unobstructed view of mount K2 which is the second highest mountain in the world.
- Day 01: Arrival in Leh
Today we arrive at the Leh IXL airport and are transferred to a hotel in Leh where we stay for the night and rest.
- Day 02: (Acclimatization in Leh)
Today we take time to acclimatize ourselves with the climate and the weather in Leh as the atmosphere may be thin for people who are not accustomed to the atmosphere in high altitude areas. After a hearty breakfast, we take time to explore the Leh city and visit some famous tourist attractions around the area. Later, we return to our hotel and stay overnight.
- Day 03: (Leh to Rumbak)
Today after a hearty breakfast at the hotel, we pack our bag packs and drive towards Zingchen. Zingchen will be the starting point of the trek. From Zingchen we start our 5 hour trek towards Rumbak. The total distance we cover today is 7 km on foot. In Rumbak we will visit the village and explore the secluded village. We will then check into our accommodations and stay for the night. The elevation that we will be staying today will be at 4000 meters above sea level.
- Day 04: (Rumbak to Stok-La Base)
Today, after a hearty breakfast, we head towards Stok La base camp. The distance that we cover from Rumbak is a short trek and not so strenuous but to reach to Stok La base camp we must maintain pace so as to reach the base camp before its dark. This will also give us ample time to acclimatize our bodies to the atmosphere at this base camp. We set camps for the night here.
- Day 05: (Stok La Base camp, Stok-La to Mankarmo)
Today, after a good breakfast, we continue our trek towards Mankarmo. Since the trail today can be slightly steep, we must start the trek earlier in the day. From the base camp today we will first summit towards Stok La which is a 4-5 hour trek. Once we reach Stok La, we halt to enjoy the views from this point. The spectacular views of the surrounding peaks, we will also be able to catch a glimpse of the Snow leopard Kingdom on the true right of the point. We will witness the enormous Indus valley and the great Himalayan mountain ranges.
- Afterwards, we will commence our journey and cross the pass and then descend onwards to reach Mankarmo. We set our camps for the night at Mankarmo standing at a 4700m above sea level.
- Day 06: (Mankarmo to Base Camp)
Today after a hearty morning breakfast, we leave Mankarmo and head towards the Base camp which is an ascent. The plus point of reaching the base camp a little early is that we have better chances at finding a good camping site with a fabulous campsite with views of the base camp. Hence we must start early today as well. After an intense trek to the base camp, we set our camps for the night at the base camp and if time permits watch the sun setting at a distance behind mountain peaks, and later enjoy a bonfire under a blanket of stars. Today we camp at 5000metres above sea level.
- Day 07: (A day dedicated to preparation day for climbing)
Today we wake up leisurely as we have no climbing to do. Today, we stay at our camps and after a great breakfast prepare our mountaineering gears for the trek to be made tomorrow. Not just prepare our gear, but take rest and prepare our bodies and mind for the strenuous trek tomorrow. And as a practice, we will walk and trek today for a few meters away from the camp so that it gives us an idea of the difficulty level of the trek tomorrow. We lunch and gather for dinner back at the base camp and sleep as soon as possible because we have to wake at mid night and start with our trek towards the summit so as to summit the Stok Kangri by 8 am in the morning and on the way possibly catch the sun rising at the horizon.
- Day 08: (Peak summit and back to camp)
Today we wake up at mid night and start our trek to the summit of Stok Kangri so as to summit the peak by 8 am in the morning time. We will enjoy the beautiful vistas from the summit and take time to absorb the beauty and climax of the trek once at the summit. We will be able to see the sturdy mount Karakoram and the Zanskar mountain range from the summit. Afterwards, we head back to the Base Camp before night fall and camp at the base camp for the night.
- Day 09: (Base camp to Leh via Stok village)
Today after a hearty breakfast we start our descent along the river banks towards Stok village. It will take us about 7-8 hours to trek for 9-10 km from the base camp to the village. After we reach the village, we will be picked up by our cab and transfer us to Leh. However when you reach the Stok village be sure to visit the Stok palace and learn about the history of the place and its people there. Today we stay in Leh in our accommodations and rest from the trek. Today our trek officially ends.
- Day 10: (Drop to Airport)
Today after breakfast, a cab will transfer you to the Leh airport for your journey onwards.
- Accommodation hotel at Leh, meals provide only breakfast in the initial day.
- Meals provide from company initial breakfast to till last dinner at Yuksom.
- Equipment issues by company are A Shape /Alpine trekking tents and dome tent on twice or thrice sharing basis. Sleeping bag, Camping mattresses, would be providing.
- Transport veichle type, Tata sumo, Mahindra bolero, Mini-Bus from Leh IXL airport to hotel – Trekking point and back to same point at Airport.
- Meals on the trek will be freshly prepared are mix of Indian, Chinese & Continental.
- Yaks/Porters: For carrying camping equipment, rations, vegetables and some amount of personal gear of the clients (one bag not weighing more than 5kgs)
- Professional trekking guide and kitchen staff would accompany the group.
- Entry fee and permit fee etc.
- Air Ticket
- Any charges for carrying still/video cameras and personal luggage.
- Alcohol, soft drinks, bottled water, beverages, etc.
- Personal expenses like tips, telephone calls, laundry, etc.
- Any meals/services not mentioned above
- Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances like landslides, road blocks, bad weather, etc.
- Travel insurance
Good to Know
All the meals are included in the fare. Meals are freshly prepared and completely hygienic. You’ll get tea or coffee of your choice along with snacks. You may carry some packaged snacks.
You’ll get a chance to stay in campsites during this trek. Accommodation is spacious and comfortable with all the basic amenities.