Leh is one of the most remarkable locations in India, also known as little Tibet. Capture the high and arid landscape with unusually large and irrigated valleys. Surrounded by snow-capped peaks, Leh will give you chills as you trek through the high mountain passes and experience the death-defying heights. Witness the famous Indus valley and Markha Valley which has been an important crossroad for traders and pilgrims. Commence this spellbinding trek from Chilling and hike along the elegant Zanskar River. Witness stunning views of the Karakoram Range along the track coupled with numerous Monasteries. Visit the famous Stok Village and get acquainted with the locals. Discover the wolf traps spread across villages, marked by colorful prayer flags. Climb up the 35 degrees inclined slope of Stok Kangri and experience a breathtaking view from the top.
- Enjoy mountain-framed landscape at Leh
- Visit ancient Tibetan styled Monasteries; Shey Gompa, Thiksey Gompa, Hemis and many more
- Trek through the famous Indus Valley and lush green grasslands
- Explore the Royal Palace and museum at Leh
- Trek through various streams and frozen river
- Capture enticing views of Stok Kangri
- Bird’s eye view of Leh and Indus Valley from Stok Kangri
- Witness live wolf traps in villages, marked by colorful prayer flags
- Day 1: Arrive Delhi
Arrive Delhi and transfer to the Hotel for rest.
- Day 2: Delhi to Leh
Board the early morning flight to Leh and check-in at the guest house. Overnight stay at Leh.
- Day 3: Leh to Shey to Thiksey to Hemis
Sightseeing trip to famous ancient monasteries. 15 km drive to Shey Palace and visit the Gompa and stupas. Visit the Thiksey Gompa, which is 17 km away, followed by Hemis which is 45 km away. Return to guesthouse at Leh and stay overnight.
- Day 4: Leh to Chilling
After getting acclimatized, leave early for a 40 km drive to Chilling via Markha Valley and Zanskar River. Camp at chilling and stay overnight.
- Day 5: Chilling to Skiu
Cross the Zanskar valley through cable bridge lift and start trekking on a narrow trail along the right bank of Zanskar gorge. Continue southeast towards Markha valley, crossing tree fields of the hamlets of Skays and Skiu, where you will camp for the night. Visit a small monastery on a cliff, above the base camp and overnight stay at base camp.
- Day 6: Skiu to Markha
Cross the Markha stream multiple times, passing through lush vegetation at the riverside and cross multiple bridges. Walk past 30-40 houses in Markha Village to reach the upper valley. Witness the prayer flags at several locations that mark the presence of wolf traps at those locations. Visit a local monastery and stay overnight in camp.
- Day 7: Markha to Hangkar
Continue trek above the Markha village and deeper into the valley. Trek through impressive monasteries and witness some ruined monasteries as well on the rocky track. Witness herd of blue sheep on the way. Reach Hangkar and camp overnight at the location.
- Day 8: Hangkar to Nimaling
Trek through well maintained wolf pits and cross the last bridge over Markha stream. Enjoy prominent views of the snowcapped Mt. Kang Yatze. Embark on a steep climb to reach Nimaling, elevating 600 meter in total. Camp overnight at Nimaling.
- Day 9: Nimaling to Kongmaru la
Trek towards the north side of the Kang Yatze, followed by a steep, zig-zag trail. Cross the Kongmaru La pass and enjoy enticing views of eastern Karakoram and China. Descend down to enter a narrow gorge and witness beautiful colored rocks. Cross multiple times through a stream, to reach a camping site called Chuskirma. Stay overnight.
- Day 10: Kongmaru la to Martselang
Descend down, crossing a rocky gorge to reach the hamlet of Sumdo and enjoy picturesque views. Soon you will reach a jeep road and follow the route for an hour till you see houses and trees in Martselang. Skirt above the Indus Valley road through chortens, into the tributary below Hemis monastery. Camps will be arranged around this unusually large area for overnight stay.
- Day 11: Martselang to Stok Village
Early morning transfer to Stok Village via a jeep. Visit a Royal Palace, museum, and monastery before you reach Stok Village. Lunch will be at Stok village, followed by a short trek towards Stok Kangri and camp on the way.
- Day 12: Stok Village to Stok Kangri BC
Continue trekking for 4 hours to reach Stok Kangri base camp and spend the rest of the day at the campsite. Enjoy the pleasant grasslands and Mel water streams at the campsite. Enjoy views of the Stok Kangri, Gulap Kangri, and Parcha Kangri.
- Day 13: Stok Kangri BC
Rest and acclimatize, preparing for the climb to Stok Kangri. The crew and some members will climb up to the pass with climbing hardware and prepare for the following days.
- Day 14: Ascent to Stok Kangri
The climb to Stok Kangri is quiet challenging therefore 2 days is allowed for the same, so that everyone gets an opportunity.
- Day 15: Ascent to Stok Kangri
The final climb would require crampons and ice-axe to climb up a slope at 35 degrees. Enjoy bird’s eye view of Tibet, Indus Valley and Leh at the 6000 meter altitude. Descend down to the Stok Kangri base camp and stay overnight.
- Day 16: Stok Kangri BC to Stok Village to Leh
Direct descend to upper level of Stok Villages through barley and buckwheat. Board the jeeps in Stok and drive back to hotel in Leh.
- Day 17: Leh to Delhi
Transfer to the airport and board flight back to Delhi.
- Three-course Vegetarian meals
- Accommodation in Hotel/Teahouse/Homestay/Tent. Necessary equipment’s are provided
- Porters and Mules for carrying extra baggage
- Transportation services
- Professional High Altitude Trekking Guide
- Qualified High Altitude Field Staff
- Medical insurance coverage
- Added expense that may arise due to unforeseen events like transportation delays, roadblocks, landslides, etc
- Any food or drinks other than three-course Vegetarian meal
- Any expense not mentioned in the ‘Included’ section
Good to Know