Zanskar Trek trails are nature’s stunning canvases in the heart of Ladakh. Experience threatening paths, moonscapes, enthralling sights, and gorgeous landscapes. The trek is filled with numerous mountain ranges, gorges, passes, valleys, and death-defying heights!
This is the most spell-binding trek in Ladakh region that attracts mountain lovers from all around world. Visit multiple monasteries and witness religious symbols and flags all around the trail. Climb through the deadliest mountain passes and rugged terrains. The contrasting day-to-day journey uplifts the experience of the trek.
- Witness high passes of Lamayuru, Hanumi, Vale of Kashmir, and Lahul valley
- Experience the alluring flow of the Zanskar river
- Visit Gonbo Rangjhon, Phutkal, and Gelukpa Monastery for soul-awakening experience
- View glorifying views of the trans-Himalayan ranges.
- Capture vivid and panoramic views of mountain from Bhumiktse-La
- Experience freezing temperatures and the frozen Zanskar Lake
- Day 1: Manali to Darcha
Early morning Transit from Manali to Darcha via car or bus
- Day 2: Darcha to Pallamo Camp
The trek starts from Darcha on a pleasant track that passes through a beautiful gorge and rivulet. Hike on the left bank of the rivulet to reach the ford in a grove of poplar for overnight stay.
- Day 3: Pallamo to Zanskar Sundo Camp
This is an easy hike along the river that has clear and drinkable water. View spectacular views of the mountain as your trail leads you to Zanskar Sundo Camp for overnight stay.
- Day 4: Zanskar sundo to ChumickNagpo Camp
This trek from Zanskar to ChumickNagpo camp is slightly challenging with harsh cold weathers. It is advisable to carry warm clothes.
- Day 5: ChumickNagpo to Lakhang Camp
The 6 hour trek from Chumick to Lakhang camp is strenuous too, due to the extreme cold weathers. Halt at the mid-point, Shinkur-La, which is an ideal spot to admire the scenic landscapes. Visit Gonbo Rangjhon monastery which is a cultural symbol for the Buddhists.
- Day 6: Lakhang Camp to Table
Trek one hour on a descending track with fallen rocks and cross several streams. Halt at Gonbo Rangjhon and continue trek to Kargyak through the right bank of the river. Reach the Table campsite after 2 hours of trek and stay overnight
- Day 7: Table to Purne
Continue trekking on the right bank of the river to reach a small village named Tanze. Interact with the locals there and trek towards Karu. Cross a bridge to get to the left bank of the river and continue for 4 hours. Halt at Karu and follow a steep trail, crossing a large bridge to reach Purne for overnight stay at camp
- Day 8: Purne to Phutkal to PurneCapture the clear water cascading down at Tsarap Chu as you hike through a small plateau ledged with exotic flowers and religious banners. Visit the famous Phutkal Monastery.
- Day 9: Purne to Ichar
Trek along the previous path, crossing the bridge. The trail might get tricky due to small canyons of pudding. Cross the hanging bridge to reach a village, named Cha. Halt for a while and trek for 2 hours to arrive at another small village names Kaydang. Continue hiking through Hanumi Pass, followed by a large bridge to reach Ichar.
- Day 10: Ichar to Mune
Start trek on the left side of the river to reach a major bridge from where the trail descends down to Reru, which is beautifully covered with flowers. Reach Mune and camp overnight
- Day 11: Mune to Padum
Follow the steep incline of the trail to reach Bardan Gompa. Halt over there and view the famous prayer wheel in this monastery. Continue trek to Padam, crossing small and beautiful villages.
- Day 12: Rest
Full day rest
- Day 13: Padum to Karsha
Head towards Pipiting, then a dusty plain towards the Doda River. Cross a bridge over the Doda River and climb towards Karsha for overnight stay. Visit beautiful Gelukpa monastery.
- Day 14: Karsha to Pishu
Hike along the Zanskar River to reach a small shelter, formed using stone and a small stream. Halt over there and take de-tour to see the longest hanging bridge over the Zanskar River. Move towards Zangla, and reach the campsite below the village of Pishu.
- Day 15: Pishu to Hanumil
Continue on the left bank and cross a moraine plateau till you reach a bridge. Trek for 2 more hours until Hanumil where the campsite is located.
- Day 16: Hanumil to Parfi-la to Snertse
Experience a strenuous climb to Parfi-la that would take around 3-4 hours. Rest for a while on the banks of a small stream and trek towards the edge of Zanskar plateau, followed by a trail that leads to Oma Chu River. Cross the bridge to reach sandy slops, from where you will move towards sheepfold of Snertse. Stay overnight in camp
- Day 17: Snertse to Hanuma-la to Lingshed
Long ascend towards Hanum-la through gorges. Reach the Hauma-La summit and take a halt. Move towards a steep descent down the hill towards Lingshed for an overnight camp.
- Day 18: Rest
Full day rest
- Day 19: Lingshed to Base of Senge-la
One hour climb to Murgum-la through an escarpment. Hike along the slope to witness beautiful views of the Niereg Valley on the other bank of Zanskar River. Descend towards the village of Gongma and Skiumpata followed by a steep climb to Kiup-la. Climb along the mountainside to reach the base of Senge-la.
- Day 20: Foot of Senge-la to Senge to Photoksar
Hike for 1-2 hours to climb the Senge-La and take a halt at the summit. Follow the short slope that will lead to a broad valley, followed by a gentle climb towards Bhumiktse-la that has epic scenic views. Trek downwards, crossing through an abandoned village to reach Photoksar.
- Day 21: Photoksar to Sirsir-la to Hanupatta
Todays’ trek involves a gentle climb to a large chorten which is followed by a long ascent to reach Sirsir-La. Descend down the steep trail along the river through a Stoney valley to reach Hanupatta.
- Day 22: Hanupatta to Wanla
Hike across the slope, through a gorge to reach a junction of two rivers, with beautiful religious banners all around the trees. Descend to reach a small bridge across the Yapola. Hike through varying ascent and descents to reach Pensi-la. Cross though a little village by the left bank of the river and continue on a flat stretch to reach Wanla.
- Day 23: Wanla to Lamayuru
Hike upwards to Shilkakong, cross a river and arrive at Shilla pass. Follow a narrow and dry gorge to reach Prinkiti-la. Pass over an escarpment and river to reach Lamayuru village. Visit a famous monastery in the village and stay overnight.
- Three-course Vegetarian meal Buffet,cooked by a chef and helpers throughout the length of program
- Tented accommodation available in Twin and triple sharing basis. Includes - foam trekking mattress, sleeping bags, dining tent and toilet rent
- Porters and Mules for carrying extra baggage
- Transportation services
- Professional High Altitude Trekking Guide
- Qualified High Altitude Field Staff
- Medical or emergency evacuation
- Medical insurance coverage
- Added expense that may arise due to unforeseen events like transportation delays, roadblocks, landslides, etc
- Any food or drinks other than three-course Vegetarian meal
- Any expense not mentioned in the ‘Included’ section
Good to Know